Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love and affection. It is a day to express feelings of love to those close to you: friends, family, a beloved pet, or a significant other. While it is primarily celebrated with romantic gestures, it can also be used to show appreciation and love to any important person in your life - including yourself!
One way to celebrate the loving spirit of Valentine’s Day is to care for your physical heart. This could include eating healthier, exercising more, and learning about the importance of keeping your heart healthy.
Here are some tips to get you started on caring for your heart, so you can keep the love flowing for years to come:
- Get some exercise - Go for a walk, run, or bike ride to get your heart pumping!
- Eat a healthy meal - A diet rich in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of heart disease. Whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, and legumes are excellent sources of dietary fiber, and plant foods contain no dietary cholesterol.
- Practice mindfulness - Take a few minutes to practice deep breathing and meditation to help you relax and focus on your heartbeat. Add to your meditative state with some relaxing aromatherapy - our essential oils & diffusers are a great way to create a peaceful ambience.
- Pamper yourself - Do something extra special for yourself this Valentine's Day like getting a massage or taking a bubble bath - check out our selection of spa-worthy self-care products here.
- Give back to the community - Volunteer your time to help a cause you believe in. Your heart will swell with joy when you give back.
We also recommend adding the following nutrients and herbal remedies to your daily regimen to support healthy heart function:
Omega-3 Fatty Acids are important for heart health because they reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and lower triglycerides. These fatty acids can be found in fatty fish, nuts, and seeds or supplements. Check out our recommended combination of Omega-3 and Omega-7 fatty acids: Metagenics OmegaGenics Mega 10
CoQ10 (also known as ubiquinone or coenzyme Q10) is a naturally-occurring antioxidant necessary for optimal heart health. It is found in every cell of the body, but is especially concentrated in the heart. Studies suggest that supplementing with CoQ10 may help to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke, as well as reduce symptoms of angina and heart failure. CoQ10 has also been found to be beneficial for people with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Our expert nutritionist selected this supplement: Ortho Molecular Products CoQ10
Bergamot has been studied for its ability to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, promote arterial health and elasticity, lower blood sugar levels, and reduce inflammation. It also has antioxidant properties, which can help protect the arteries from oxidative damage. Unlike cholesterol-lowering medications that deplete levels of Coq10, Bergamot lowers LDL levels without this unwanted side effect. Ortho Molecular Products Bergamot BPF
Magnesium and Potassium are both electrolytes that are essential for a healthy heart rhythm. Magnesium is needed for the healthy functioning of muscles and nerves, including those that make up the heart. It also helps regulate blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Potassium is important for proper nerve and muscle function and helps regulate blood pressure. It also promotes healthy circulation, allowing oxygen and nutrients to be delivered to the heart. AOR Mag-K Taurine
However you choose to celebrate Valentine's Day, make sure to include some self-love on your list. Give yourself some "me time" to relax, reward yourself with a special treat, or take the time to name the things you love about yourself. Caring for your heart, literally and figuratively, is important to keep the love flowing all year round <3