Candida is a type of yeast that naturally occurs in our bodies, particularly in the digestive tract and mucous membranes. In a healthy body and a balanced digestive tract Candida is harmless. However, various factors can disrupt this balance, allowing Candida to overgrow and cause health problems. These factors may include a diet high in sugar and refined carbohydrates, prolonged antibiotic use, stress, hormonal imbalances, and a weakened immune system.
Candida overgrowth can manifest in various ways, leading to a wide range of symptoms including:
- Recurrent yeast infections: Recurrent yeast infections may be difficult to treat and prevent without balancing Candida overgrowth.
- Digestive issues: Symptoms of candida overgrowth can include bloating, gas, diarrhea, or constipation.
- Oral thrush: This condition is characterized by white patches in the mouth, tongue and throat.
- Fatigue: Candida overgrowth can lead to chronic fatigue and low energy levels.
- Skin issues: Rashes, acne, or eczema can be caused or exacerbated by Candida overgrowth.
- Mood disorders: Some individuals experience mood swings, irritability, and even depression when they have a yeast imbalance.
Addressing Candida overgrowth naturally involves a holistic approach that focuses on rebalancing your body and supporting its innate ability to fight off this yeast. This approach includes specific supplements as well as dietary and lifestyle changes for long-term relief, balance, and benefits.
Here is a highlight of our favorite supplements to help fight Candida overgrowth:
NFH CANDIDA SAP - This natural Candida overgrowth therapeutic offers a blend of antifungal and immune-boosting herbs and nutrients including garlic, oregano, caprylic acid and berberine that all aid in controlling Candida growth and preventing future occurrences.
BIO 82 - is a homeopathic remedy used for addressing symptoms related to Candida overgrowth. As a homeopathic remedy, it does not interfere with any medications, and it has no side effects so it is a great option for sensitive individuals or anybody on medications that may be contraindicated with some of the other herbal remedies.
GENESTRA CANDACLEAR FOUR combines allicin (from garlic), cinnamon, and probiotics to support optimal gastrointestinal health, addressing issues like increased intestinal barrier permeability and disruptions in gut microbial composition including Candida overgrowth.
XYMOGEN SACCHAROMYCIN DF is a lactose-free and stomach acid-resistant probiotic formula featuring Saccharomyces boulardii (probiotic yeast). This unique strain of beneficial yeast supports gastrointestinal-based immunity, promotes the integrity of intestinal mucosal lining, and maintains a healthy gut flora by helping keep the bad bacteria and yeast in check.
NFH RESTORE SAP is a multi-strain probiotic formulation that aims to maintain a healthy gut flora and promotes gastrointestinal health. It features Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Saccharomyces boulardii that have been extensively researched for their health benefits, including restoring gut microbial flora, reducing antibiotic-associated diarrhea risk, and supporting overall gastrointestinal health.
In addition to these highly beneficial supplements, here are some effective natural strategies to include for best results when fighting Candida overgrowth:
- Adjust Diet: The cornerstone of any natural approach to Candida overgrowth is dietary modification. This includes eliminating or significantly reducing the intake of sugar, refined carbohydrates, and yeast-containing foods. The focus should be on a diet rich in non-starchy vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats as well as probiotic-rich foods, such as yogurt with live cultures that support a healthy balance of gut bacteria. Drinking plenty of water and avoiding alcohol consumption is also beneficial in managing Candida overgrowth.
- Reduce Stress: Chronic stress can potentially contribute to candida overgrowth as it can compromise the immune system and disrupt the balance of microorganisms in the gut. Moreover, stress may influence dietary choices, with individuals often turning to comfort foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates, which can further exacerbate Candida overgrowth. Try to incorporate stress-reduction techniques like meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises into your daily routine.
- Promote Detoxification: Bowel movements and detoxification play a crucial role in managing Candida overgrowth. Constipation or irregular bowel habits can contribute to the accumulation of toxins and promote an environment where Candida can thrive. Adequate hydration, a fiber-rich diet, and probiotics can support optimal bowel function. Additionally, supporting the body's natural detoxification processes through liver function is essential in managing Candida overgrowth. Consider methods like dry brushing, Epsom salt baths, and staying well-hydrated. (Stay tuned! -We will talk about body detoxification in more detail in our next blog.)
- Healthy Lifestyle: Regular exercise helps boost the immune system and promotes overall well-being, contributing to the body's ability to combat Candida. A healthy lifestyle promotes a strong immune system and balanced gut flora. Adequate sleep is also essential, as it supports immune function and the body's natural ability to regulate microbial balance.
Candida overgrowth can be a persistent and bothersome condition, but a natural approach to treatment is both effective and sustainable. Combining these lifestyle changes creates a holistic approach to managing Candida overgrowth, promoting a healthier gut environment and overall well-being. By making dietary changes, supporting your gut health, and addressing contributing factors like stress, you can help your body regain balance and overcome Candida overgrowth naturally.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this blog is for educational purposes only and should not be considered as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the guidance of a qualified healthcare provider regarding any medical condition, dietary changes, or supplementation.